Saturday, February 9, 2008

it's in the eye of the beholder

If you are a frequent reader of dooce.com you will have noticed a new segment to her blog: daily style. It is here Heather Armstrong takes artistic photos of everyday things she has in her home. They are normally very stylish and artistically shot...colorful, a hint of fading or shadowing on the edges.

So, in order to fill space on our blog I have decided to add some style posts as well. Mine will be less frequent and less stylish and less artistic. Like I said: space filler. So let's begin.

Recently, I have noticed many women walking around Chicago wearing spotted and colorful rain boots (apparently known as Wellies?). It has been a very snowy and wet winter here in the city so these wellies seem to be all over. Is this a new trend? I think so because I don't remember the last time rain boots made a fashion statement. Unless, of course, you've been wearing these:



These are my boots. Green and brown and beautiful all over. Rubber sole with a stylish canvas top. Bought at Meijer maybe 6 years ago for 20 bucks. Not worth the $20 you say? Well, my dry feet beg to differ. As do the envious stares I get clompin and stompin through the neighborhood.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for a good laugh on another cold day in these parts. Looking forward to your next "in-style" photo.

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud too! "Green and brown and beautiful all over." You're a hoot. And a great writer!

Anonymous said...

Wellies huh, I remember these boots from my farm days, they were
de rigueur in central Illinois, well maybe not required by fashion, but required to keep the nearly knee deep manure off your feet while feeding the Herefords. They were black all over with a stylish reddish stripe at the top!!