Tuesday, February 26, 2008

the negotiation

FYI: Today is "free latte day" at Dunkin' Donuts. They are giving away lattes in an effort to steal business from Starbucks...just don't try pulling a fast one on the Donuts crew.

me: Hi, are you only giving away lattes? Or, could I by chance have an americano?
dunkin dude: Only lattes.
me: So, just espresso and hot milk, not espresso and hot water.
dd: (stares)
me: Any chance I could get espresso with hot water instead of espresso with milk?
dd: (stares), No, just hot milk. No hot water.
me: No water instead of milk?
dd: No, just milk.
me: Ok, I'll have a latte
dd: Want sugar?

My thought is this will not steal away business from Starbucks other than possibly some of the morning rush crowd and the "I really need a coffee but Starbucks has a huge line" business. I have read before and tend to agree that the Starbucks experience, more so than the coffee itself, is what draws most to their stores. Unless this is a start to branding Dunkin' more as an experience? Will we eventually see plush couches, ambient music, and headphoned MacBook Air users at Dunkin?

1 comment:

t said...

the dunkin better start working on their organic/vegan donuts as well.