Friday, June 29, 2007

flood

In 1992, Nickelodeon Studios buried a time capsule. I remember it well because I was a big Nickelodeon fan. Double Dare, can it be beat? I always thought I would be really good at that game because I would hate more than anything to be slimed and would do everything in my power to prevent it. Like answer questions about dinosaurs. I know a lot about dinosaurs.

So Nickelodeon buries their time capsule with the intention of unburying it on April 30, 2042. 50 years later. Come to find out that the orange bomb like thing they buried filled with green slime, Gameboys and whatever else was cool in the early 90's was pulled out of the soil 10 months ago. My math may be a little rusty but I'm pretty sure 50 years have yet to pass. Worst time capsule ever?

Close but not quite. When I was 8 or 9, between reading Hardy Boys and Boxcar Children books, I buried a time capsule across the street in the woods; which, were more like a gathering of trees that hadn't been chopped down by some Hudsonvillian needing fire wood. So, I gathered up some valuables. Baseball cards, marbles, books, notes to my future self and put it all in a shoe box. A cardboard shoe box. Cardboard. That stuff made of hard paper.

I buried it and then 2 days later got impatient. I unburied so I could unearth the treasures Past Josh left for Future Josh only to find a sopping wet mush of paper memories and marbles.

Looking back, Past Josh should have buried an etched piece of metal telling Future Josh "Hey! Dummy! Don't do this again."
-----
3 days ago it rained a lot in Chicago. Flooding and power outages were everywhere. Water poured into our basement. We store stuff in our basement. Shoes, luggage, golf clubs, and a cardboard box filled with journals, notes, pictures, love letters.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This brings back bad memories of Franklin Street, Saylor Street and Cottage Hill Avenue. It really stinks!!

t said...

oh! brooke's journals! i'm so sorry, guys! fires, floods... the renters in the family have worn out all of our luck. :(