Thursday, July 19, 2007

decembawists

Several years ago Brooke, Tracy and I were riding in a car and I popped in a cd by a newer band called the Decemberists. I likely picked this up via a Pitchfork recommendation and enjoyed what I heard. Story-teller lyrics with a unique old world sound. The girls, however, found a "flaw" that kept them from liking it immediately: the lead singer Colin Meloy has a real tough time saying his "r's". Distracting to some and endearing to others. I always thought that if other bands with far less talent could hit it big then a little thing like the letter r shouldn't be a road block.

Last night Brooke and I met Michael, Caitlin and Alex at Millennium Park for a free show featuring (take a guess....come on, one guess)... the Decemberists! playing with the Grant Park Orchestra. Brooke and I arrived a full 40 minutes early only to find every teen and hipster within 30 miles had shown up way before us. We crawled our way to the very back and with not a patch of empty grass to be found plopped our blanket down on the cement. The music started and since we were halfway to Indiana we had no chance of actually seeing the Decemberists but the music was wonderful and even a little bit of rain couldn't cast a gloomy cloud over the pleasant sounds of a symphony mixing with indie folk.

Hipster Heaven



Umbella ella ella


Hipster Heaven Part II




1 comment:

t said...

I stand completely cowwected. Colin, forgive me. I paid for my shun by not being able to sit under that umbella ella ella with all of you. :(