Monday, July 2, 2007

i have harry potter preordered

I enjoy reading science fiction much more than I enjoy reading historical fiction. Sometimes it shows. This weekend, while Brooke and I were watching Flags of our Fathers, we had to call Michael "Let me tell you about what happened on May 6 1834" Leman to give us the background. Google and Wikipedia are no match for him. As for me? I know a lot about rocks and erasers.

Tyler Cowen of MarginalRevolution.com, more known for his economics knowledge, wrote a post yesterday with his opinion on some underrated science fiction books. Sphere by Michael Crichton was his first choice. While Crichton's recent books (State of Fear, Next) have either not been finished or chewed up by Sadie (bad dog...OK, you're still cute, here's a treat) Sphere and his other books written around this time are excellent.

If you enjoy science fiction too then pick up one of my recent favorites Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (Amazon gives a nice summary. I'm no book critic and won't even try). I also recently read the superb Time Traveler's Wife. While it may be a love story and caused a small tear to well up at the end (I don't even want to hear it Adam) the main character Henry time travels and gets in fights. This, in my opinion, can make any book great. Much like my autobiography. Lots of time travel. And fights. Even a little bit of breathing underwater.

1 comment:

t said...

josh. you're great.